Ground turkey from Misty Knoll Farm in New Haven, Vermont, is on sale now through July 21. Enjoy turkey burgers on the grill this weekend and come back for more! Here are two new recipes to try. They both include directions for stovetop preparation so you can keep enjoying these tasty burgers any time of the year.
Greek Turkey Burgers
Recipe adapted & photo from Steph Gaudreau, epicurious.com
3 fresh garlic cloves, finely chopped
Optional toppings: butter lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced red onion, sliced cucumber, more fresh mint or parsley, basil pesto, or feta cheese
1. In a large mixing bowl, use your hands to combine well the turkey meat with the spinach, olives, lemon zest, onion, mint or parsley, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. But don’t over mix or the meat will become tough. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and shape them into burgers.
2. Grill. Or if frying, warm about a tablespoon of olive oil or ghee in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the burger patties and fry them on one side for about 5 minutes, then flip them, frying on the second side for another 4 to 5 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.
3. If you like, serve each burger on a large piece of butter lettuce and top them with any of the optional ingredients.
Buffalo Turkey Cheeseburger with Blue Cheese Broccoli Slaw
1 T red onion, grated
¼ cup of your favorite hot sauce
salt and pepper
oil spray, if frying
5 slices cheddar cheese
5 of your favorite burger buns
1. In a medium bowl, combine broccoli slaw and skinny blue cheese dressing. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, carrots, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Makes 5 equal patties, 5.5 oz each.
3. If grilling, clean grill well before cooking and spray with oil spray to prevent sticking.
4. If frying, heat a large skillet on high heat. When hot, lightly spray the oil. Add burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low.
5. Cook on one side until browned 4-5 minutes, then flip. Cook another 4 minutes or until burgers are cooked all the way through (keep heat medium-low to prevent burning).
6. Top with cheese and place on a toasted burger bun topped with broccoli slaw.