The Monadnock Food Co-op is a full-service, community-owned local grocery store in downtown Keene, featuring locally grown, organic produce and natural food. We offer healthy food choices, including products with alternatives to commonly allergenic ingredients. Our purchases support local and organic farmers and socially & environmentally conscious producers whenever possible.
The State of New Hampshire defines “Local” as any product grown within the state’s boundaries. To be tagged as local at our Keene Co-op, a product must satisfy one or more of the following requirements:
- Grown locally on New Hampshire farms;
- Cooked, prepared, assembled or otherwise produced locally from products grown locally;
- Adds to and enhances economic development through job and business creation that involves more than simple transportation or distribution.
Organic is a labeling term that indicates that the food or other agricultural product has been produced through approved methods. These methods integrate cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity. Synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, irradiation, and genetic engineering may not be used. If you see the USDA organic seal, the product is certified organic and has 95 percent or more organic content.
From Equal Exchange
Our local grocery store participates in Fair Trade, a way of doing business that ultimately aims to keep small farmers an active part of the world marketplace, and aims to empower consumers to make purchases that support their values. Fair Trade is a set of business practices voluntarily adopted by the producers and buyers of agricultural commodities and hand-made crafts that are designed to advance many economic, social and environmental goals, including:
- Raising and stabilizing the incomes of small-scale farmers, farm workers, and artisans
- More equitably distributing the economic gains, opportunities and risks associated with the production and sale of these goods
- Increasing the organizational and commercial capacities of producer groups
- Supporting democratically owned and controlled producer organizations
- Promoting labor rights and the right of workers to organize
- Promoting safe and sustainable farming methods and working conditions
- Connecting consumers and producers
- Increasing consumer awareness and engagement with issues affecting producers
- As a Local grocery store we strive to provide products that are local, organic and support fair trade, for the wellness of our community and environment.