On Thursday, May 24, 2012 about 250 community members joined together for a Groundbreaking Ceremony at Railroad Square for the Monadnock Food Co-op (formally known as Monadnock Community Market) – the future home of our locally-focused, community-owned grocery store in the heart of downtown Keene.
Joe Marks, the Co-op’s Board President addressed the crowd and thanked the vendors who provided treats for community members to sample: Orchard Hill Breadworks, Gemma’s Linzers, Merry Meeting Farm and Walpole Creamery (all products we look forward to carrying in the future – plus many, many, many more). Mayor Kendall Lane spoke about how the Monadnock Food Co-op fits into the Keene Comprehensive Master Plan. Others who spoke: Dan Scully from Dan Scully Architects, Jack Dugan from Monadnock Economic Development Corp., Molly Lambert from USDA Rural Development, Bonnie Hudspeth the Co-op original Project Manager and Michael Faber the Co-op’s General Manager.
What are our hopes & dreams for our co-op?
- We asked the community to share their hopes & dreams for our local food co-op at the Groundbreaking Ceremony. Their wishes will go into the foundation of the Monadnock Food Co-op, literally.
- Here are just some of the hopes & dreams that were shared by our friends, family & neighbors:
- I hope the co-op teaches our community how interdependent we are to each other – and the land, water and air that sustains us. ~James Duffy
- A welcoming gathering space.
- Let Whole-some become Whole-all: Let the best be available to all, not just some. ~ Ella Rank
- Neighbors & community connected through healthy food – what could be better!
- Fresh wonderful produce/food & a place that can be walked to.
- Local food, local economy, local fun!
Would you like to share your hopes & dreams for our co-op with us? Share your note using this link.
We acknowledge the work of many who have bought the Monadnock Food Co-op this far. Thank you to all who are making our hopes & dreams for the co-op a reality.