We’re excited to announce our participation in the Farm To Freezer program — a program that supplies us with frozen fruits and vegetables from small family farms in the Northeast, packed by the Neighboring Food Co-op Association (NFCA).
“Our member food co-ops purchase an estimated $50 million in local products annually,” said Erbin Crowell, NFCA executive director. “And by working together, we can do more to grow a more healthy, sustainable and co-operative regional food system.”
Our Farm to Freezer fruits and vegetables are easy to find in our freezer section — they’re packed with a simple black and white label and a clear package so you can see what’s inside:
- Blueberries: Our delicious highbush blueberries were grown by Greig Farm, a diversified fruit and vegetable farm in Red Hook, NY, in operation for over 60 years. Greig Farm practices Integrated Pest Management (IPM) to maintain healthy, productive blueberry bushes.
- Organic Broccoli: Established in 1818, Hepworth Farms is a seventh-generation family farm in Milton, NY, in the Hudson Valley. Today, the farm includes 250 acres of NOFA-certified land yielding more than 400 varieties of organic vegetables.
- Organic Edamame: New this year, our organically grown edamame is grown by Markristo Farm in Hillsdale, NY. Active board members of Berkshire Grown, Martin and Christa Stosiek are committed to healthy food systems and sustainable agriculture.
- Organic Green Beans: Martin and Christa Stosiek started Markristo Farm in 1988 on the land where Martin was raised in Hillsdale, NY. Active board members of Berkshire Grown, the Stosiek’s are committed to healthy food systems and sustainable agriculture.
- Sweet Corn: Our delicious, non-GMO sweet corn is grown by Altobelli Farm, a third generation farm in Columbia County, NY. John Altobelli has been farming on this land for over 30 years, using minimum tillage, drip irrigation, cover cropping, and no chemical fertilizers or pesticides.
We hope that you will try these regionally grown and processed fruits and vegetables — available exclusively at our Neighboring Food Co-ops! Please let us know what you think.