Leek and Sweet Potato Soup
Adapted from paleoleap.com
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp olive oil
2 or 3 large leeks, top part removed, and softer part sliced in rounds
4 cups vegetable broth
4 sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and chopped
1 can unsweetened, lite coconut milk
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Sauté the onions with the olive oil in a large sauce pan over a medium heat for few minutes. Stir frequently to prevent the onions from burning.
- Add the garlic and leeks to the pan and cook for approximately 3-4 minutes to allow everything to soften.
- Sprinkle in the cumin and combine well.
- Add the stock and the sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Remove the soup from the heat and slowly mix in the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree the soup in a blender (optional) and serve.
Cherry Tomato Bruschetta
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 pints cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
1 T balsamic vinegar
16 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips (3-4 tsp dried)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 whole baguette or crusty loaf of choice
- In a small skillet, heat oil and garlic over medium-high heat until golden.
- Pour garlic and oil into mixing bowl and add tomatoes, balsamic, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Toss to combine.
- Cut baguette into diagonal slices and dry roast in 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes, or until crisp.
- To serve, spoon tomato mixture generously over the slices of bread.