- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large celeriac, peeled and cubed
- 1 large (or 2 medium) starchy potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tart apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cups (or more) chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cubed crusty bread
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, de-stemmed
- 4 sage leaves, sliced
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add celeriac, potatoes, apples and onions and sauté until apples begin to soften. Add stock and simmer until potatoes and celeriac are tender. Puree soup adding more broth as needed to reach desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For croutons, heat oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add garlic and herbs being careful that garlic doesn’t burn. Add bread cubes to pan and stir over low heat until croutons become crispy, about 10 minutes. Allow croutons to cool slightly and serve on top of celeriac soup.