- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup whole milk
For Filling: Mix all ingredients in 12-inch-diameter skillet. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer until berries soften and mixture thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare dumplings: Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles fine meal. Add milk; stir just until blended and sticky dough forms.
Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto simmering berry mixture, placing close together. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover skillet and simmer until dumplings are firm and tester inserted into dumplings comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Scoop warm dessert into bowls.
Adapted from: Bon Appetite, July 2006